Sunday, August 03, 2008

Lessons in Economics 101 or waking up to reality

The Krauter and I went out to eat with old friends last night close to the area Cabela's store, which is always an invitation for actually going in and spending money on stuff that I can always justify as being absolutely necessary. I'll use it, eventually, whatever it is. At least that's the line I use, and it's sometimes actually successful!

After our meal, the four of us decided to walk around the store, and my buddy and I, of course, head to the Gun Library to check out the ridiculously overpriced shotguns and such, drooling on the cases for such things that we'll never be able to afford. My buddy looks at me and says, "If you shell out that kind of jack for a shotgun, you should have your head examined." To each their own, of course, but, I had to agree.

Being more of a rifleman than a trap or skeet man, I steer my attention to the rifle rack in the room, only to run across this.

Now, I've known for quite a while (thanks to Bush, the Elder, and his successor, the Lying Bastard of the Ozarks) that actual HK91 rifles have been on an ascending price scale for some time, but, excuse me here, 4 'effing large?!? It used to be, say 20 years ago, that you could find the exact same gun, for a tenth of that price. In defense to the specific piece in question, it was completely mint, so a premium can be expected, but that figure seems way too highfor a piece in even its condition. Of course, if someone considers that price to be fair, and wants to spend it on that particular item, then there must be a certain value perceived by both parties conducting the transaction, and that value can not be expected to be understood by even one other party, regardless of sum. Free markets, and all that.

Thankfully, the reputation and demand for such fine fundamental designs gives the entrepreneurial types an incentive to fill such gaps caused by limited supply commodities (again, thanks to asshole politicians, fucking it up for the rest of us). JLD, thankfully, steps in, and has been doing a fine job for more than a couple of years now, turning out excellent rifles of the type, on original tooling, no less. I have one, and feel as though it's not only an excellent rifle, but an excellent value as well.

So, the question is, how do you sell that $4,000 type-91 with the competition cutting you out at the knees?

Class? Anyone? Bueller?

Answer: Lower your price, you may actually sell the damned thing.

Thus ends our lesson.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Too big, long, and heavy - nowdays all arms must be micro-lite and concealable in a g-string, and with lotsa kool opticz.

2:11 PM  
Blogger chrisb said...

Luckily I have not ever been infected with HK disease.

I am sure they make fine weapons, but I can take them or leave them. At those prices it is easy to leave them.

3:20 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

"At those prices it is easy to leave them."

Um, yeah. Pretty much. And those who'd want to buy such an item will probably never shoot it either. How sad.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home