Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Our Government - Creating criminals, at the swipe of a pen.

I was eating my lunch today when I ran across this piece in the KC Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/9139625.htm (pesky registration req'd for access to link)

After I stopped laughing about a lawyer, a public servant no less, being accosted by the cops under some backhanded, snowball, bureaucratic scheme, all I could say was, "Huh?!!!" What in the world is the state doing? It is bad enough to have to wade through the bureaucratic stiffs at the DMV to get a driver's license, but to institute a new "program" in an effort to do...what?, make it easier for the state to keep track of who does and does not own what car and if it still has insurance coverage? I am sure that is the official answer, but I can't believe it to be true. I am convinced that the only real reason is to give yet another person another (meaningless) job (John Kerry's job creation plan).

Give me a break! The law was written back in the 80's, I think, to make sure that all motorists were insured. Even though the law doesn't get the intended goal accomplished, the idea was that it would decrease the number of uninsured motorists and keep everyone "protected," much to the Nanny-Stater's delight. Fine. Whatever. It is now the responsibility of every motorist to be insured. Do you get it now you over-zealous morons?!!!

It is redundant to have this "program" that "just checks up" on the status of a vehicle and/or its owners, new or former. I am sure that it was some scheme dreamt up by some do-gooder in the executive arm of the state government. Meaning, of course, that it is their turf and their rules that they can make up as they go, good sense or logic be damned. Therefore it is little use in attempting to fix the situation through lawmaking.

I especially enjoyed the "First Glance" comments in the article. "The Jackson County prosecutor was ticketed for driving with a suspended license, and he didn't know it had been suspended." Troubling thought indeed when the local prosecutor does not understand or know the laws he is sworn to enforce.

This kind of behavior must be reined in folks, or we will all die the pathetic death of big government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home