Sunday, April 08, 2007

Movie: Shooter

On Les Jones' recommendation, the Kraut and I went to see Shooter this afternoon.

Generally, it was entertaining and it wasn't bad, with good effects and the production value was high, but there were at least a couple of occurances of "Bullshit" getting openly called out by yours truly, although I did do it quietly, so as not to raise the ire of other patrons. Shooting through the glass, with a silenced rifle, at the Colonel, the bodyguards and the Senator (superbly played by Ned Beatty, BTW) towards the end of the movie is on the edge of credibility, to name but one instance. I'm also curious about the supposed differences in the firing pin thing, that the whole crux of his defense rests on. I'm not a firearms designer, nor a machinist, but my guess is that it's not nearly as effective as it was portrayed in the movie.

The plot was believable enough, I suppose, and I'm guessing there was at least some borrowing of details of this story, as I've read at least one novel fairly recently that similarly uses a veteran as the patsy, in order to stage something quite similar, for the creation and funding of some kind of black-ops team, with zero accountability, the ear of the right person(s) high in some office and access to the latest hardware, all with the wrong attitude. Governmental Hooliganism at its finest, right?

I was really hoping for a little more pain and anguish in Swagger's character, more emotional torture, but the thugs killing his dog is pretty bad in my book, though I was glad they didn't actually show his dog getting it. I hate it when that happens.

I do agree with Les' remarks about Kate Mara (hubba, hubba), but I was not aware that Rhona Mitra had a small part as one of the Fibbie agents investigating the botched/framed shooting, falsely blamed on Swagger. Now she is hot! I just dig that dark hair, eyes, skin thing. Smoldering hardly begins to cover it. Wow!

Oddly, this movie has made me want to rush out and read the book, so I'm giving it a six out of ten. Looks like I'm adding more titles to my queue.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home