Friday, December 18, 2009

Saab bites the dust

I saw it coming.

I was far more surprised when the consortium, lead by Koenigsegg, tossed their hat into the ring to buy the brand from GM. Spyker is/was an even bigger farce for attempting the purchase, and I wasn't surprised after the deal fell through in a mere two weeks of negotiation.

My biggest question for GM is this, why the fuck wouldn't you unload that money-sucker when you had the chance? Getting something for it, like cash, would have been a hell of a lot better than closing the brand and taking the brunt of it on the chin, wouldn't it?

I've nothing in this whole bit to lose, since I don't own a Saab and never have, as they've always been way too expensive and low value for the dollar, for me at least. Dealer-sourced parts are required for more repairs than some other brands too, and I spent a number of years in the parts business, so this isn't mere conjecture. I suppose I've never really understood the mystique of the brand either, as I've never been all that impressed with front-drivers, and turbo-charged acceleration, a hallmark of the brand, is a double-edged sword, with failure rates that have always been too high, and even today, haven't been adequately resolved, in my opinion.

Oh well, they are about to join the Dodo bird, and for the similar reasons, is seems.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home