Saturday, May 16, 2015

Kleineschwarzehund

Mom picked you out of the remaining sisters of your litter. You had a dirty, oily mark above your eyes and you climbed atop your siblings to get the best view you could of the big people standing over you, attempting to get some attention.

It worked.

Twelve years plus, a dickey right hip and a left bionic knee later, you were still chipper and eager to run around the yard just last night after I finished cutting the grass.

I called for you after Mom lost sight of you in the back yard, sure that you'd run off to see the rest of the neighborhood. Instead, you were right there on the porch, looking down at me with those beady, black eyes and your tail up. You ran around to join us and played in the yard with me for a few minutes, enjoying a good scratch around the neck, while Mom finished looking after her garden.

We all came inside to clean up for the evening and settled down for bed.

You passed sometime in the night, in your usual spot on the tile, family upstairs. Peacefully.

Thanks for being the best dog I've ever had, Montana. Your passing comes just three months after your little sister.



It will be hard, and we will always miss you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Oh man! Dogs offer so much love, unconditionally - I'm very sorry, it sounds like he went so peacefully.
I would go mow the grass and get grass all in my face. Condolences.

9:18 AM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Thanks.

It's been tough losing both of my dogs so close together.

I'm actually relieved in some ways, as she was getting quite old and it was difficult to see her often struggling to get up and walk. Other times it seemed she didn't have issues, but we still knew she was in some pain with her dysplastic hip. I dreaded the thought of having to eventually take her in for euthanization.

This is the way I really wanted her to go, surrounded by her family at home, in her sleep.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home