Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The things one sees

I did a check of the weather this morning when I awoke. Twenty one degrees fahrenheit.

I also know that it's January, and I'm also in Kansas, so that tidbit on the temp didn't surprise me. Now, that doesn't preclude it being a balmy seventy in the odd year in the late afternoon, but that's not what I'd call normal.

These two facts, that it's January and cold, would normally not be lost on anyone else who has endured the typical mid-western winters of the area.

I proceeded to get the fam ready for the day, fed the dogs, prepared breakfast for everyone, dropped off the boy at daycare and then left for work.

My morning commute is a fairly long one, both in terms of distance and time. This tends to increase the chances for being in traffic jambs, accidents or running across (or even over!) something...weird.

This morning, I'm making my lane change to switch highways, and this is what I see; A middle-aged, curly red-headed woman driving a Lexus SC430...with the hard top down and windows rolled up...at 21 frickin' degrees.

I suppose the severe weather that has besieged the region for the last month has some people fooled into thinking that 21 is warm, or something.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

My best friend in high school had a Triumph Spitfire. We used to put the top down on our way to go skiing. With the windows up and the heater blasting we were comfortable.

I grew up in Maine.

2:08 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Yup. Just as I had thought, it's a matter of perspective.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home