Thursday, May 10, 2018

Liberal douchebag fuckheads

So, I walk in the office this morning and as is customary for me, I glance over at my physical mailbox. Usually, there is nothing in there that I haven't personally placed there for my own safe keeping or reference.

Today, there is a magazine, still in its plastic wrapper and mailing label affixed to it. Funny, I thought, so I approached and took a look. Yep. My name and all that jazz. Took a look at the title and recognized it straight away.

Metropolis.

I used to subscribe for a few years, back in the late 90's and into the Naughty's, but a series of missteps in the publishing content as well as overt politics within the editorials/articles left me wanting it gone, so I allowed it to lapse, feeling better about unloading that baggage.

Fast-forward to today, newly minted subscriber...SOMEHOW, and I was left with a bit of a hole in WHY I had just received it.

Customer service via the online address did little other than confirm another piece of information that was strange; my new subscription was paid up for the next 30 years. No shit, subscribed until April of 2048.

So I had to make a phone call (remember those?) and talk to a real person to get some better information.

My first question to the nice lady on the other end of the wire was HOW was I subscriber, as I didn't remember sending any money nor requests about a subscription in the first place? After a long hold and the attendant elevator music, her response was, "it's a complementary subscription..." to which she added this bit, "...I've never seen a complementary subscription that was quite so long, sir."

I told her that I'd reviewed the same thing online and she'd confirmed my suspicions, and that a free subscription for 30 years seemed quite excessive in my estimation. She agreed.

Then I told her to please cancel it.

Of note to me was reviewing their paper/hardcopy circulation numbers when searching for their website; 50,000. That's TOTAL circ, not just in NYC. In a CITY of 8,500,000 people alone, that's disturbingly low, even in this day and age of reading almost everything on your various fucking hand-held devices of every sort. Seems like they're attempting to brush their numbers in an attempt to make shit look better than it is.

Fuck 'em.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home