Monday, January 17, 2005

OK George, time's a wastin'

I can't help but think about some of the stupid shit that Bush has done during his presidency.

The Godawful Patriot Act was a bad idea. I just cringed when he started with the whole "Axis of Evil," bullshit. Gee, way to pick a fight. That was a bad idea. His "immigration plan" is indeed a bad idea. His administration's lack of control over its budget has been deplorable, and he needs to step up to the plate to get it fixed, and in a hurry. Sending a man to Mars, while a noble goal, is another bad idea, at least John Q. Taxpayer paying for it anyway. His mispronunciation of the word nuclear, as Nucular, irritates the living shit out of me, it's Nu-KLE-ar George, for fuck's sake, use the Goddamn dictionary. So what has he done right? Well, let's not get into that. All I can say is, George, I voted for ya, so let's keep at least a couple of those promises. 'Kay?!!!

Not that George is stupid, he is just...simple. He is cut and dry, no nonsense. I can go for that. So when he was throwing about the idea that he would take up the mess known as Social Security, in his first term, I was waiting, anxiously, to hear about it.

So I waited . And waited some more. And then some more. I can't be sure that it was timed for such, but it would seem that Dubya was waiting for his second term to start before he let us in on the big secret.

Now it seems that the bomb will drop sooner as opposed to later, and I can't help but think that he is going to spend the rest of his political capitol trying to push this big motherfucker through. Or he is up to something.

The idea, to me, is just fine. SocSec has been a real piece of shit since FDR initiated it. It unnecessarily burdens the future generations so that the current one can have it only a little easier. It has grown to encompass too much machine, and not enough speed. It has become the leviathanic creature that can only move slowly through a medium that can support its weight, else it collapse under its own. It soaks up way too much money to pay for the mechanism along the way. It's time to phase it out.

I imagine that people my age will only get a little out of it in the long run. 32 doesn't seem too old, but if I will only get to invest, say 5 or 10 percent of my input, as of now, it won't make a shit difference to me when I'm old. It doesn't matter to me, as the Kraut and I have a good saving and investment plan, and we intend to retire comfortably, despite Soc Sec. The real beneficiaries will only be those who are yet to be born. By the time we can roll it back to a meaningful percentage of income, and invest that in a conservative fund, will the idea work. Hard to say how far off it may be, 50 to 75 years maybe, it will be slow to be sure, we can't hack up that fish overnight. I may still be around for that, but I doubt that I'll care much at that age. What is important is to get the FedGov out of the handout/entitlement business and free up future generations for the possibilities of Liberty.

So he is less than a week away from the start of his second term, and all I can think of is, "George, time's a wastin'!"

-B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home