Thursday, September 08, 2005

Why the shock???

This is hardly a surprise, as the higher price of oil would be reflected in higher heating costs come this winter, just as we've seen a meteoric rise is pump prices. The most disturbing thing is this tidbit,

"Separately, Bodman said he expected the drop in crude oil prices from last week's record of over $70 a barrel to be passed on to consumers in the form of lower gasoline costs.

"We would expect that over time that would be reflected at the pump," he said."

Over time!!! Over time. How about RIGHT FUCKING NOW?!!!

It didn't take even 24 hours for prices to go up in the KC area about 40 CENTS/gallon! I expect a sharp downturn in crude prices should be associated with an equally sharp drop in gas, and in a time frame of, say days, and not "over time," which could imply weeks or months!

I am not opposed to the oil companies, or refineries, or distributors making profits. I also understand that this has been an especially stressful time, for everyone, including 'Big Oil'. I also know a fair bit about how refinery output is controlled, and that the products they produce are cyclical, and that gas isn't necessarily in production when crude prices drop suddenly. This I understand. But my problem lies with how the curve looks on both sides of the 'bubble', going up sharply when even a hint of 'high demand' or 'low supply' is mentioned, and that 'over time' the price will go down with lower crude prices.

Fuck this shit.

I keep my house at a less than balmy 65 in the winter, where the season lasts for 6 months at between 0 and 30 degrees fahrenheit and the wind howls at 30 miles per hour. I don't complain, I just wear extra clothes. I keep my house at a just-less-than-sweating 75 in the summer, where it is 100 degrees from about the middle of May until the middle of September, all the while at 90 percent humidity. Again, I complain little. (As an aside, this leaves about 4 weeks during the entire year when the weather could be nice in KC, but it could just as easily be raining cats and dogs, hosting another tornado, or any of the other associated transitional season bullshit from living in the god-forsaken midwest.) I do this in the name of conserving, just to get ass-raped by the fucking dicks who say they can't pass on the savings just yet.

I am moving to the woods with my chainsaw and rifle. Move over Salinger, there will be another Emerson moving in soon. Need to start on my manifesto now.

-B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home