Friday, February 08, 2008

The Swell

Everyone I know has either called me on the phone regarding this story, or has sent me an email with linkage, including my wife, and she is currently in Europe!

I had heard about the shooting long before any of the calls, that is to say, almost immediately thereafter, and I had already done a good deal of thinking and questioning about the details before the first of those messages started trickling, then flooding, in. The deluge isn't without some profundity, now that I think about it, as some of what I had a feeling about is starting to make it into the mainstream story behind this.

The initial story certainly struck me as being unusual, as a detail that quickly emerged was that it was a black man going on a shooting spree at a governmental building. He was a local. He was a local business owner. He was known by some of the witnesses. "Huh?," I thought. This kind of thing is almost always the territory of the pissed off middle aged white male with a predeliction toward antiestablishmentarianism, so I suspected that there was something more to come.

I was right.

Reading the link confirmed some of my suspicions, and I'm thinking that there are far more details about this man's encounters with the powers-that-be that aren't being reported, in a history of what I suspect was a long and growing agitation of a man who felt put upon.

Not that there is necessarily any excuse for doing what he did. It's just another observed symptom in a long line of previous, and future symptoms, of what I've been contending for the last dozen years or more. It's all looking pretty shitty, and situations such as this one aren't going away, and in my estimation, will only get more frequent, and more expansive, as time moves along.

Keep watching for conflagration. Then we'll know.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

Vin Suprynowicz didn't call his book The Ballad of Carl Drega for nothing.

At first, it's just the crazy people that snap under the strain...

1:56 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Yes ma'am.

As always, you are correct, and very correct when you suggest the, "At first," part of it.

It gets louder from here on out, methinks.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home