Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The proles can just burn...

in Old Blighty, it seems.

Now, I don't usually hold much hope of attempting to fight a serious fire with a hand held five pound fire extinguisher, and to be sure, once going, a fire is something that will only be put out with a liberal application of the correct extinguishing agent, or letting it burn itself out. However, I don't see how removing extinguishers by way of, "fire assessments...to 'eliminate or reduce risk as is reasonably practical'," is in any way doing a service to the occupants of any building.

I have at least 6 of them in my house. One in the garage (another one that I've not considered in the car I store there), another just inside the garage man door to the laundry (literally not more than 4 or 5 feet from the garage unit!), and another in the kitchen which is a dozen-or-so feet from the laundry room.

Some consider this paranoia. I just happen to know where most fires start.

Two are upstairs, one in each bathroom and another in the basement utility room.

I'm not sure much more can be done, other than to make sure a fire doesn't get started in the first place.

Oh, and I'd seriously consider a little practice (beware of the mess you'll be cleaning up) on the use of one, on a controlled, live fire if at all possible. The life you save may be your own.

Link shamelessly stolen from Tam.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

The fire extinguisher training guy let us put out a couple different types of fire with a couple different extinguishers.

It was cool as dammit. Maybe the coolest thing I've ever done on the clock. (Other than shooting machine guns, that is. Or leaning out the window of a Cessna taking pictures while shooting a touch'n'go at Dobbins AFB.)

9:48 AM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

It may seem strange to some, but yes, shooting a fire with chemicals IS fun, and necessary too.

Ya gots to know how the damn thing works, and hands-on experimentation is an excellent teacher in my book.

Thanks for stopping by.

10:11 AM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I know the yellow-powder chemical ones leave a blocky silhouette of a burning slant-six Plymouth engine on the asphalt below... Shouldda had that carb float fixed.

And if somebody runs up to you and loudly says, "Hey Man! DO YOU HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!?!?" I suggest you ask, "Do you have $20?" 'cause you'll never see either again. Sounds cruel I know but what ever's burning really ought to be worth something to the dude cause he'll never pay you otherwise.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home