Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sob

No.1) I actually like my crank-your-own windows in my longtime, and current, every day driver, a '96 Nissan Hardbody (Note No.9 on the list).

No.2) My ride also has a cassette deck (inoperable), which was supplanted about the time of its manufacture with the CD player, which has since, it seems, been replaced by the MP3-type plug-ins. I'm seriously behind the times.

No.8) This kinda threw me a bit. Which effing dinosaur is still sporting a three-speed auto in this day and age? Jeezis, Ford has had an overdriven slushbox in their stable of cars since at least the early eighties, fer Chrissakes! Who, damnit?! Inquiring minds want to know!

No.9) As mentioned, the truly compact pickup is about to pull the Dodo routine, much to my chagrin. I'd buy another similar to the one I have, and may still, if I can get it with a stick and A/C. I'm easy to please.

No.10) Not surprising, but much lamented, by me at least. Color me sympathetic to the old ways, but I actually like the idea of keeping the damned cop-caresque CV/GM series going. It's just...so American!

Strangely, nothing was mentioned about hubcaps (which manufacturer puts those on anymore, anyway?), nor the death of the manual transmission, which I'm still positive to see, and before I die.

No mention of the internal combustion engine being entirely supplanted with Unicorn farts, or even hydrogen fuel cells, in the near future, so I guess us gearhead types can take that to heart.

Simply must get on that Falcon wagon project car I've been drawing on.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous chrisb said...

Three on the tree refers to a standard 3 speed tranny, not an auto. That seems to have been missed by the author of the article.

I have had several trucks with this 3 speed column shifter in the past.

8:40 AM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Yeah, I noticed the faux-pas as well.

I'll forever remember changing out the shift tube (twice) in my Dad's '79 F100, Three-on-the-tree. Whatta bitch that was.

I'm all about the stick, but put it on the floor, where it was intended to go.

Sometimes, when I look at new cars, I'm rather taken aback at the dumb shit that are on them. manually shifted automatics with paddles? WTF?!? Who needs that? Lexus has their flagship car parallel park for you...as if that would ever present itself to an owner of a car like that...that's what the valet is for.

I like technology in a car, and I'm not beyond wanting to see advancement in such, but I still want to, ya know, drive the damned thing.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are aware that you might be able to get the tape deck to work with MP3 players by using a cassette adapter, right?

12:21 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Actually, as it stands, Anon, no, it won't work.

The tape deck in the truck is inoperable. It gave up the ghost about 4 or 5 years ago, so all I have to listen to on my commute is the fucking radio.

NPR is leftist drivel, usually, and the rest of it is either sports talk shows (possibly worse than NPR) and some moron like Don Imus or Rush.

I'd rather listen to the KA24e four-banger under the hood do its thing, honestly.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home