Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thoughts on the next acquisition

I've been ruminating about this subject for a long while. How long I don't know precisely, but let's just say many months. And in light of the recent elections, I am not one to hold much hope for the Blue Party keeping their meddling mitts off of the gun control "button" for any length of time, so I've made more of a commitment at an addition to the armory before the 110th Congress officially convenes come January. As I stated earlier, I've been contemplating this one for quite a while and the one question that has kept recurring to me regarding this is, what are the holes in my armory that need filling?

So, what shall the next purchase be?

Acquiring that .45, finally? I know, no self-respecting man can be without a .45 pistol, and I should check to see if I still have gonads, blah, blah, blah. I just have never thought it all that important when I've had my 9mm's stuffed with 15 rounds of Cor-Bon, or my 4", .357 at hand. Go figure. I do have a serious thing for the Kimber Desert Warrior. MSRP is higher than the teats on a giraffe and street price is only marginally lower, and I'm not sure I want to part with 1G, just for a .45, as there are at least of couple of other choices that run considerably less, but I'd only have to buy the Kimber once, for sure.

A carbine, with extended fire capacity? I'd want something with a short barrel, 16", quad rail forend and a flat-top for an Aimpoint or EOtech. I like DPMS just fine, and I'm sure that I can order exactly what I'd want, but I'd really prefer to get a production model. Maybe something from Bushmaster. I need to do more homework on this one. Definitely getting a Beta-C mag, assuming I acquire an arm to fire it.

That .44 Magnum high country revolver I've been lusting after? I was sold after groping this one, for at least a couple of years now.

I desperately need a .22 revolver, and I'd like one with a similar feel to my .357, so I'm leaning toward this. Note for S&W, lighten up on that price, will ya?, or at least supply some lube!

I'm am also in need of a top drawer .22lr bolt action rifle. Hell, any bolt .22lr would really do, as I haven't one at all. That is an eggregious hole in one's collection, as far as I'm concerned, though I have a couple of semis that do nicely. I really like this one.

Of course, there are a couple of project guns which I already own that could use improvement, like my RomAK. No laughing! It was a decent buy when I picked it up in early '98, and in the post-ban configuration, of course, but I was looking for something that was just a lead thrower in a military pattern at the time, and it works. It has a rather poorly executed parkerized finish, though not as bad as that painted-on crap I've seen on others. The front sight is slightly canted to the left, as are many that I've noticed. That needs to be addressed, but what I'm really after is improving a lot of the poor ergonomics of the damn thing, namely ditching that damn butthole stock, throwing a list of compliant 922(r) parts at it so as to fit a VLTOR stock and pistol grip, along with a Krebs quad-rail forend, forward vertical grip fitted with a pressure switch actuated light and a refinish to a flat brown/gray would do it. Maybe top it with this, for that authentic Ruskie look.

Any additions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Les Jones said...

If you're worried about the Dems outlawing guns, concentrate on the evilest-looking of the semi-automatics. The revolvers and bolt actions are the last things they'll go after.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with an AR-15, but I'll be buying one before 2008 just in case. I'll also buy a CMP M1 Garand in case the CMP program goes away.

4:07 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

Les,

Thanks for the comment, I feel like I've made the big-time now!

I do have some trepidation regarding the recurrance of some sort of AWB, and will be looking into the AR15 thing quite extensively in the near future.

CMP would be great, and we've got a very active organization here, and an excellent range that is used for matches quite frequently not more than about 3 miles from my house. I really need to join and get an CMP Garand, if nothing else, for the historical value.

Thanks for playing.

9:01 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Since we do have a Dem-led AWB still in effect here in CA and I can't get an AR, that's what I want - a National Match AR from White Oak Precision.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home