Thursday, October 02, 2008

Oh yeah?, well you Swedes build shitty cars!

Can we get a little more schoolyard, here? I mean, Jeezis-Christ-on-a-popsicle-stick, what does it take for someone to say such vapid non-sense? Quoth, the article;

"Europe draws literary exiles because it "respects the independence of literature" and can serve as a safe haven."
Huh? It's not safe in America? Like threats of bodily harm? I've been here for a long while, my whole life in fact, and it's pretty safe. Or is it that we're not observant enough about freedom of speech, 'cuz, ya know, we have an amendment prohibiting the god damned gummint from doing that very thing here.
"The U.S. is too isolated, too insular. They don't translate enough and don't really participate in the big dialogue of literature," and, "That ignorance is restraining."
Not sure I concur with this "insular" statement. I have an immigrant wife, from Europe no less, and I have traveled pretty extensively in Europe with her. She even came here willingly. A shocker for Mr. Engdahl, I'm sure. By what means do you propose to measure my insulation? Please, expand.

"Very many authors who have their roots in other countries work in Europe, because it is only here where you can be left alone and write, without being beaten to death," he said. "It is dangerous to be an author in big parts of Asia and Africa."
Uh, I'm curious if our fine "permanent secretary" of the council has forgotten about what happens to certain film directors when they actually exercise their talents regarding the apparent insidious nature of a certain religion? Thought not.

Can someone please slap this asshole Engdahl with the clue stick?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

"Europe draws literary exiles because it "respects the independence of literature" and can serve as a safe haven."

Theo Van Gogh, Hirsi Ali, and Salman Rushdie were unavailable for comment, due to being dead or in hiding.

12:14 PM  
Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

This whole thing kinda reminds me of that scene in Field of Dreams where James Earl Jones grabs a crow bar and tells Kevin Costner,

"I'm going to beat you with a crowbar, until you leave"

I'm wondering how many on the other side of the pond get it?

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home